Heliopsis is a sunny and joyful flower that adorns the garden in cloudy and sunny weather. The name of the flower comes from the Greek helios and opsis, which translated into Russian - like the sun, but his birthplace is not Greece, but North America.
You can decorate this perennial with a flower bed or a corner of the garden, placing it in the background, giving way to low-growing flowers. Spectacular compositions are obtained by creating chaotic plantings with contrasting shades of flowers and leaves. Heliopsis blooms all summer, does not require special care, and therefore doubly valuable especially where there is no opportunity to pay much attention to flowers.
Growing conditions and care for heliopsis
The flower is simple to grow, the requirements for the soil are standard - fertile, fertilized with humus, slightly moist. The plant can be planted on clay, well-drained soil. Land for landing is selected sunny or shaded. Before planning the planting, one should take into account the fact that the flower grows quickly, it is advisable to plant it in those areas where it is easy to remove the growth (along the paths and fence, on a separate flower garden).
- When planting requires support, usually the plants are tied together, and around establish support support.
- The recommended distance between the bushes is 40-50 cm.
- The plant does not tolerate drought, long absence of watering prevents the formation of new buds.
- It easily tolerates frosty winters without shelter, but can warm up during warm winters and high soil moisture.
- Shade and partial shade adversely affect flowering, plants are drawn out and lose their decorative effect.
- If you remove faded buds in time, you can extend the flowering period. In addition, it gives the bushes a well-groomed look.
- Before wintering, all shoots are cut to ground level: the next year the plant releases new shoots, and the old ones die off.
Heliopsis is propagated by seeds and division of the bush. A sunny flower is planted every 4-5 years. Sowing seeds carried out in the winter or spring (April).
How to plant heliopsis seeds on seedlings
For seedlings seeds are sown in February - March, in order to have time to carry out transplanting seedlings in open ground in early May.
Heliopsis seeds photo Planting seeds
Fresh seeds can be planted immediately, but those that lay more than a year should be stratified. This is not as scary as it seems: you just need to wrap the seeds in a damp cloth, put them in a plastic bag and stand for at least a month in the refrigerator (the department for vegetables is best suited).
- Prepared seeds are planted in a nutrient substrate. This may be ordinary garden soil, enriched with humus, or purchased soil mixture for indoor plants.
- Given that the heliopsis seeds are quite large, you will have no problems planting them one by one in separate cups. So you can immediately resolve the issue with the picking: it will not be needed in the future.
- Cups should have drainage: holes for the gathering of excess moisture.
- If you sow in a box, try to keep a distance of at least 5 cm between seedlings.
- The embedding depth is small, 1 cm is enough.
- Seeds can sprout for a long time, up to 2-3 weeks. To speed up the process, you can create greenhouse conditions: cover containers with cling film and ventilate once a day.
- Watering is needed moderate, so as not to develop various putrefactive diseases. But to overdry the substrate is not worth it. In general, everything in moderation.
Heliopsis seedling Growing from seed photo
- Plants respond well to attention to them and quickly grow. All that is required is to monitor the humidity of the earth and provide good lighting. After all, heliopsis is not just like the sun, he loves him very much.
- In the 20th of April, when the seedlings grow up, you can safely begin hardening it. Starting from one hour, increase the time of the “walk” in the open air, bringing it to full days.
You can disembark at the beginning of May, keeping a distance in the row of 35-40 cm and row spacing of about 60-70 cm. Planted need to be careful not to damage the roots: better watering the seedlings well before planting and carefully remove the plant from the cup with a clod of earth. So the transplant process will be comfortable and the plants will practically not get sick. Do not forget to ensure good watering for the first 10 days, until the rooting of the seedlings is complete.
If we sow in open ground
Heliopsis planting and care in the open field photo
Sowing a heliopsis is a snap: it’s enough just to put the seeds one by one on a small bed. If you do not have enough patience, then you have to break through or transplant extra shoots to another place.
- Given that the plant is tall, you need to leave the distance between rows of at least half a meter, and preferably 60-70 cm.
- In a row, you can allow a distance of 20-30 cm between the bushes, and then until they grow up a little. Later they will need to be removed through one or transplanted, so as not to clog each other.
- The depth of seeding is 2-3 cm, the grooves are made shallow to make the way to the sun easier for the plants. Do not worry: seeds sprout for a long time, up to three weeks.
The planting dates are very broad: in the fall, of course, it is not worth sowing too early, so that the seeds do not sprout. Focus on the weather: sometimes, sowing is done in October, but with a warm autumn it is better to shift to November, if the ground still allows work.
In the spring already in the end of March-April, as soon as the earth dries out, you can start sowing. The main thing - that the land was not too wet. The seeds will come up earlier, and the flowers, of course, will be much more luxuriant in the first year, if not delayed with sowing. But you can certainly sow in May and early June.
Description of heliopsis
The solar flower is quite high - almost 150 m, its minimum height is 70 cm. The oblong leaflets are serrated along the edges, arranged on the stem differently (opposite or alternate) depending on the type of plant. Heliopsis, perennial or annual plant. The most popular species are rough and sunflower heliopsis.
Heliopsis sunflower Heliopsis helianthoides
Heliopsis sunflower shaped Heliopsis helianthoides variety Summer Night Summer Nights photo of flowers
Sunflower heliopsis is distinguished by a dense flowering. The inflorescence of heliopsis is its main decoration, the petals are bright yellow, the flower is 8-9 cm in diameter. The structure of the flower depends on the variety, it can be simple, double or semi-double flowers. Heliopsis blooms almost all summer.
Heliopsis variegated Lorain sunshine lorain sunshine
Heliopsis sunflower variegated Lorein sunshine loraine sunshine planting and care Photo of flowers in the garden
If speak about Lorraine Sunshine variety loraine sunshine, it is impossible not to note the beauty of not only flowers. This plant has motley leaves, heliopsis variegate is very popular among gardeners due to its unusual appearance.
Heliopsis sunflower Summer Pink heliopsis helianthoides
Heliopsis sunflower flower Summer Pink Summer Pink heliopsis helianthoides planting and care photo
Summer Pink Summer Pink has an amazing color of leaves: green streaks in the center on violet-purple leaves, the edges of which are slightly bent inward. Against such a background, bright yellow flowers with orange centers are especially spectacular.
Heliopsis Summer san heliopsis summer sun
Flowers Heliopsis summer san heliopsis summer sun planting and care photos
Sort Summer San can be called the brightest representative of this genus: large bright yellow flowers, really similar to sunflower, only of reduced size. The bush is generously hung with inflorescences, it pleases with lush bloom all summer.
Heliopsis terry grade Goldenfider Goldgefieder
Heliopsis terry grade Goldenfilder Goldgefieder cultivation and care photo
Very attractive terry varieties, among which stands out grade Goldenfieder Goldgefieder with immaculate inflorescences: filled cups with a variety of petals, assembled in several rows, of different lengths. Bulk flowers are much more attractive than daisy.
Heliopsis asahi heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra ‘asahi’
Heliopsis asahi heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra ‘asahi’ perennial planting and care photo
Astonishing a variety of asahi heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra ‘asahi’, practically without middle marks, something resembling dahlias. Lush inflorescences look very elegant. The variety is attractive also because it does not grow very high and can do without artificial support.
Heliopsis grungy golden balls
Heliopsis grungy golden balls landing and care photo
Sufficiently powerful bushes with beautiful spreading leaves and large flowers, resembling balls burning in the sun. The bush looks amazing when all the flowers open completely and the green becomes almost invisible.
Chamomile Heliopsis in landscape design
This amazing "chamomile" is often found in the design of the garden as a hedge or as an addition to complex flower gardens. Sunny flowers are perfectly combined with bells, asters and delphinium. To create a flower bed of one tone, marigolds or rudbeckies are planted in the suns. After the end of the flowering period, the heliopsis is completely cut off, the place where it grows can not be changed for many years.
Alas, the flower, despite all the benefits, is not as common as I would like to see it. Probably, this is due to the fact that there are many flowers like the sun, the choice is really great, it is heliotrope, helimpterum, helihrisum. Even the names are a bit similar, but still, they are completely different.
A small genus of herbaceous perennials, which belongs to the Astrov family. Initially, the plant grew in the eastern part of North America, but has long been popular almost in all parts of our planet.
For Léraine Sunshine heliopsis, erect stems are characteristic that reach a height of 70-80 cm. A distinctive feature and even the hallmark of the variety is its leaves, the leaf plate is painted white and decorated with green veins.
The motley and original shoots of this plant always cause enthusiastic views and attract attention, as well as its not less beautiful flowers, gathered in basket inflorescences. Petals are rather short, roundish, saturated yellow color. Named variety "Lorain Sunshine" in honor of the grower, who discovered an unusual herb in his flower bed.
Location and lighting
Considering that the plant has come to us from hot countries, the places for its planting must be sunny. Best of all, herbaceous perennial grows in open and even arid areas.
Growing from seed
In the spring, you can sow seeds in planting containers. At the bottom of the tank must be laid drainage. The substrate should be loose, you can add peat to the pots. It is recommended to pour the soil with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, and then sow planting material.
After that, the container is covered with glass or film and left in a bright place with an air temperature not lower than 20 degrees. After 7 days, seedlings should be moved to a dark, cool place and stored for 3-4 weeks at a temperature of 3-4 degrees. After this time, the container is placed in the sun in a room where the thermometer shows at least +25. When the first shoots are shown, the shelter is removed. Grow seedlings continue at a temperature of 10-15 degrees.
In the process of changing the temperature and light conditions, the plants must be watered as the soil dries. When the weather is warm, the seedlings are planted in open ground. When the seed method of reproduction perennial blooms in the 2nd year.
In open ground In the open ground, the seeds are best sown before winter. This is done at the moment when the frosts are near, and there is no likelihood of warming again.
Through seedlings Seedlings are planted in open ground at the end of May. To do this, dig the planting holes at a distance of not less than 40 cm from each other and place the strengthened seedlings there.
For this method of breeding suitable plants that have reached 4-5 years of age. The shrub is carefully dug out and its rhizome is divided into equal parts so that at least one kidney is present on each delenka. After that, immediately planted into the ground at a distance of 30-40 cm from each other. The procedure is recommended in spring or autumn, preferably not more than once every 4-5 years.
Watering and soil care
Perennial, does not need daily watering. Water procedures should be carried out only if the ground around the plant has dried out considerably.
Moreover, heliopsis can do without irrigation at all, but in this case it must be understood that the flowering will not be abundant and large-colored. The land around the shrub should be regularly loosened, weedy from weeds and mulch the soil.
Fertilizing a plant is not necessary at all, but if you want to pamper your pets, then mineral fertilizers and green complex top dressing are welcome. They contribute to more abundant flowering and add decorative and already charming leaves.
Protection against diseases and pests
Heliopsis "Lorain Sunshine" is highly resistant to diseases and pests, but do not forget that excessive moisture can cause fungal diseases. As a preventive measure, a solution of foundationol or copper sulphate is used. “Lorain Sunshine” is a heliopsis variety with a characteristic highlight in the form of stunningly decorative leaves and incredibly beautiful yellow-orange inflorescences that can fill a flower bed with a cheerful atmosphere and give a sunny mood even on cloudy days.
Types and varieties
Flowers of heliopsis spread in the gardens due to breeding, which gave inflorescences of various shapes, which created resistant to cold weather of central Russia and pests of the variety. The ancestor of most hybrids, Heliopsis Sunflower.
Heliopsis Burning Hearts
Heliopsis Rough was taken out of the Sunflower heliopsis. It got its name from the hard villi covering the stem and leaves of the plant. In height, this species grows to one and a half meters. The leaves are arranged oppositely on short petioles. The inflorescence is colored yellow, reaching up to 7 cm in diameter.
Heliopsis Lorain Sunshine
Heliopsis Lorain Sunshine is an unpretentious variety with a light aroma. A simple basket inflorescence is framed with rounded yellow petals. Peduncles rise to a height of 70-80 cm. A special feature of this variety is the color of the leaf plate, which is beautiful white with green veins.
Heliopsis Lorain Sunshine
Heliopsis Summer Knights
Large variety, reaching a height of 1.2 m. Bred by American breeders. It is characterized by a dark, almost brown, stem and leaves with a bronze tint. In the center of the inflorescence is an orange-red core. The flower is simple.
Heliopsis Summer Knights
Heliopsis Sunflower is a perennial plant with straight, branched stems, reaching a height of 100 cm. The leaf plate is whole, oval, with notches along the edges, the arrangement of leaves is opposite. Inflorescence golden-yellow, reaching a diameter of 8-9 cm, double or semi-double. Blooms profusely all summer.
Diseases and pests
The plant is resistant to diseases and pests. In rare cases, it can be affected by powdery mildew. The disease manifests itself as a white bloom on the leaves. Copper sulfate and Fundazole helps to fight it. It is recommended to shed the soil before wintering. During the growing season, spray the plant with a 0.5% solution of colloidal sulfur.
In dry and dry years, this solar flower is attacked by aphids. To combat insects use drugs: Fufanon, Fitoverm, Spark.
Preparing for the winter
After the end of the growing season, the upper part is cut at the base, left to winter in the open ground. The plant easily tolerates frosts of central Russia. A dry shelter is required if the winter is warm and wet. To do this, you can use sawdust, lapnik, and other specialized covering material.
Heliopsis in landscape design
These unpretentious flowers are perfect for a garden in a rustic or Provencal style. They will complement the flowerbed with phlox, delphinium and calendula, create a voluminous sunny spot on a green background. You can pick up high varieties for decoration of the fence or stunted for flowerpots and the front edge of the flower bed. Varieties with a decorative leaf color before flowering will delight their grace. Having a pleasant smell, Heliopsis will attract butterflies and bees into your garden.
Description and general information about the plant
Heliopsis belongs to the grassy plant species from the Astrov family and can be both annual and perennial, depending on the variety.
Its stems reach 150 cm in height, and the leaves are arranged alternately or oppositely, and have an oblong shape with teeth on the edges. Высаженный на клумбе, гелиопсис быстро разрастается, но его длинные стебли иногда нуждаются в подвязке, хотя даже под сильными порывами ветра они не ломаются, а просто клонятся к земле.
Зацветает растение золотисто-желтыми соцветиями, достигающими 8-10 см в диаметре. В зависимости от разновидности, эти «корзинки» могут быть полумахровыми, махровыми или гладкими.
В местностях с умеренным климатом период цветения приходится на последние дни июня и продолжается 70-75 дней. And if the autumn is warm, the flowers will remain until the end of October, until the first frosts ruin them.
Varieties and varieties of heliopsis with photos
There are many varieties of heliopsis, the most common of which include the following types:
- Sunflower. This plant can be recognized by bright yellow flowers, literally covering the bush. The structure of the inflorescence can be both terry and semi-double, and there are also common, smooth varieties. This culture blooms almost all summer.
- Rough. As the name implies, the stems and leaves of this plant are covered with fibers, coarse and rough to the touch. Flowers are large, sunny yellow.
- Lorain Sunshine. It is possible to distinguish this type of heliopsis from others by white-green leaves, densely covered with veins, and stems of a meter length. Flowers in this culture are simple and look like daisies with prominent orange centers and yellow petals.
- Summer This is the brightest representative of heliopsis, its large flowers really resemble a sunflower, only a few smaller sizes. Inflorescences are densely and persists throughout the summer.
- Asahi. This bush will be more compact, and the flowers - medium-sized, with bright petals.
- Golden balls. Such a culture is a large sheaf of leaves, with densely arranged flowers in between. Inflorescences appear at the beginning of summer and retain their original appearance until mid-autumn.
- Variegated. The bushes of a plant of this type are not the biggest, the stems are 90 cm long and covered with leaves with a huge amount of veins, because of which it appears almost white. Flowers are large and bright yellow.
Any of the listed types of heliopsis will not go unnoticed when landing on a flower bed and will look great both as an independent planting and in combination with other plants.
Plant propagation methods
Heliopsis propagates in two ways: by seed or by dividing a bush. In the first case, planting material is sown in the open ground in the fall, slightly buried in the soil, after which the future flowerbed is covered with dry foliage, which is removed with the onset of spring.
Young crops grown from seed bloom in the second year of life. In some cases, heliopsis breed independently, and then you should dig up shoots and plant them in the allotted place.
The division of the bush is done in spring. To do this, you need to dig up the root, divide it into several parts so that each of them has 1-2 growth buds. Dried parts are removed, and healthy plants are planted in beds at a distance of 35-40 cm from each other. With this method of reproduction, the heliopsis will begin to bloom in the very first year after planting.
Planting seeds for seedlings and the finer points of growing seedlings
Heliopsis can be grown through seedlings, i.e. by planting seeds
You can land the seeds of heliopsis seedlings. In this case, planting and caring for a culture will require some effort and a certain amount of time.
You need to do the following:
- Fill the container with a mixture of peat and sod land and moisten the surface.
- Spread planting material, slightly pressing into the ground.
- Cover the container with a transparent film and place it in a windless room or greenhouse. Periodically cover will have to be removed in order to water the plantings and air them.
- When shoots appear, the film will need to be removed, covering the seedlings only at night, if the day was cold.
2 weeks before disembarking, you will need to start hardening the seedlings, exposing it to fresh air for several hours a day.
Seedlings can be planted in the ground after the temperature becomes stable, and even at night it will be at least 12-14 degrees. Seedlings should be placed on the bed at a distance of 40 to 50 cm, and the row spacing should be 60-70 cm.
After planting, the plants will need to be watered abundantly for 10 days, until they are fully rooted.
Subtleties of planting heliopsis
When planting a heliopsis in a permanent habitat in the form of seeds and or seedlings, the following rules must be observed:
- Choose dry and sunlit places.
- Plant flowers in fertile and drained soil.
- When planting seeds in open ground in the autumn, do not do it too early, so that they could not climb until spring. It is better to navigate according to the weather, in some localities it is permissible to carry out at the end of September, in other regions you have to wait until the beginning of November.
- When planting seedlings it is important to observe the distance between the bushes of at least 35 cm so that the growing flowers do not interfere with each other. Since heliopsis is a tall crop, the distance between rows should be at least 50-55 cm.
Heliopsis grows well in well-lit areas and extremely dislikes stagnant water
If you properly care for plantings, you can grow healthy, beautiful and viable flowers that will please the eye throughout the summer.
One of the advantages of any kind of heliopsis is that they are extremely unpretentious and easily adapt to both hot and dry climates, as well as cold weather. However, with insufficient watering the flowers will be much less than with the regular introduction of moisture.
In addition, it is important to take care to protect the pleasure from drafts, while choosing open and sunlit areas for flower beds.
The roots of the plant need air, and to ensure its access, we will need to carry out weeding, trying not to damage the culture.
Once in 20-25 days it is necessary to feed heliopsis with mineral or organic fertilizers, as well as in time to prune wilted flowers and dried leaves. In the fall will need to cut the entire green part to ground level.
Heliopsis needs regular feeding
Since heliopsis is growing rapidly and can live for several decades, after a while it will occupy a significant area in a flower bed. In this case, you can cope with the problem by doing the root division and transplantation. Do it every 5-7 years.
Pest and disease protection
Beautiful sunny yellow flowers of Heliopsis and their juicy leaves may suit your taste aphid. To get rid of it, you need to use systemic insecticides.
Heliopsis is not very susceptible to diseases, but sometimes dark spots can be seen on its leaves, which indicates rust, or a white-gray patina can be detected, which indicates the defeat of powdery mildew.
In such a situation, the sick shoots must be cut and burned, and in order to prevent the development of the disease and the defeat of the plant with fungi, treat heliopsis with copper sulphate or Fundazole. The same can be done for preventive purposes in the spring.
Preparation of heliopsis for winter
As mentioned above, heliopsis unpretentious, hardy and resistant to severe frosts. For this reason, no special shelters for the winter plants are required.
Heliopsis do not need a winter shelter
To save the flower until next year, it is enough just to cut off the greens before the frosts, and we can assume that the perennial is ready to spend the winter.