It is unlikely that there will be a person who would not be deceived by the dessert berries, which are shaped like a heart. It is not difficult to guess that we are talking about the culture of the kind of strawberries. There are many varieties of these amazing berries, one of which is the Black Prince strawberry. The culture was developed by Italian breeders and can rightly be called unique. From the content of this article it will become clear why it can be so considered.
Bushes are large and have dense foliage. The formation of whiskers is balanced, with an annual decrease in their number. Dark green leaves are small, slightly wrinkled and have a glossy finish.
The berries are large, dense, conical. Fruits have a rich red color. Due to too dark coloring strawberry got the name - Black Prince. The sweet and sour taste of the berries is pleasantly combined with the pronounced aroma of strawberries.
The advantages of the variety
This variety is intended for both home use and for transporting berries over long distances. In the description of the strawberry variety, the Black Prince indicates the quality of the berries, thanks to which it becomes possible to grow fruits for sale. The variety has the following features:
- Frost resistant.
- It is famous for its rich crops. Such a characteristic is determined not only by the size and number of fruits, but also by the extraordinary growth of bushes.
- A distinctive feature is that the number of berries and the period of fruiting increases annually.
- Strawberries can be grown for about 5-7 years and without losing the amount of the harvested crop. With careful care strawberry Black Prince can grow in one place for about 10 years.
- Berries collected from the last wave of fruiting are no less in size than the first fruits removed.
- The variety has excellent immunity to diseases and is resistant to pests.
- The berries are solid, rather dense, without internal voids. They have excellent taste and beautiful appearance, as seen in the photo with the Black Prince strawberry. From one bush can collect up to 1 kg of fruit.
- The fact that the bushes do not differ intensive formation of whiskers, simplifies the care of the plant. Strawberry bush releases them in the early years (3-4).
- Strawberry Black Prince gives a decent amount of seedlings of the highest class. Well-designed bushes with three shoots are planted and receive harvest the following year.
- Versatile to use variety even suitable for making homemade wine.
- Differs in long shelf life of berries. It was noted that at low temperatures, strawberry fruits persisted for 30 days.
Choosing a place
Like other berries, strawberries love the sun. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a well-lit place. It is worth considering that the site for this culture will serve for a long time, as the Black Prince described in the description of strawberry that it does not need frequent transplants.
Strawberry is a demanding crop, therefore sandy and well-structured soil is suitable for it. On poor soil, the plant will not please the gardener with a generous harvest. Before planting young strawberry bushes, the soil must be enriched with all the necessary elements. Sand is introduced into loamy soils.
The best predecessors of strawberries are legumes, cereals and carrots.
The best time to plant strawberries is August, but in regions where climatic conditions allow, seedlings can be planted in early spring.
Before planting strawberries, earth is dug up and fertilized (humus, peat). With the help of drugs "Fitop-Flora-S" and "Flora-S" process the soil. Haze and peat fertilizers make the soil more permeable. That the plant normally got accustomed, carry out the following actions:
- Planting material is selected, diseased parts of the plant are cut off.
- Immediately before planting, the roots are immersed in a solution to stimulate the root system (“Appin”).
- The wells are prepared at a distance of 0.5 m and well watered. The size of the fossa should be slightly larger than the strawberry roots in straightened form.
- Sapling put in the hole and evenly laid the root system. Next, sprinkle with earth and slightly compacted. Attention should be paid so that the edges of the roots are not above the ground and there are no air voids around.
- When planting strawberries, it is necessary to ensure that the growing point (the core located in the center) remains on the ground.
- In the first 10 days after planting, seedlings should be watered abundantly.
- It would be good to straw the soil. This will preserve moisture, and when the cuttings under the weight of ripe fruit will slope to the ground, they will remain clean.
When growing strawberries Black Prince, all major agronomic procedures are important.
Loosening. Strawberries like permeable soil, so you need to make regular weeding, which contribute to the "breathing" of the root system. In the second year after planting, it is necessary to pour additional land under each bush. This action will protect the roots from drying out.
Weed control Timely removal of weeds allows the bushes to provide nutrients that the grass could stretch. This will help the plant to drive out longer cuttings and gain a healthy green mass. Bushes will become more spreading and will fully comply with the characteristics described in the Black Prince variety of strawberries.
Moisturizing. Watering should be moderate. To some extent, this variety is drought resistant. But like all strawberry, the culture is demanding of moisture. Especially in hot weather, it needs abundant watering. At the same time it is impossible to prevent the stagnation of water in the bushes, which will significantly delay their vegetative development.
Feeding. In early spring, nitrogen and phosphorus should be added. Between the rows of strawberry bushes scatter granular fertilizer and close up in the ground. During fruiting strawberries Black Prince needs complex mineral supplements. They can be purchased in specialized stores. An excellent fertilizer at the time of ripening berries will be ash.
If you do not plan further reproduction of strawberry bushes, the mustache and the resulting new bushes should be removed immediately so that they do not pull the supply of micronutrients.
If you plan to grow strawberries, this should be done in the first years, because in the 5th year she will not release a mustache.
After the last berries have been removed, humus should be scattered over the section with strawberries and well filled with water.
At the end of the season, selective trimming is carried out. Clean old dry leaves and excess young.
Many fruit growers, after fruiting, completely cut off the aerial part of the plant. Perhaps for some varieties of strawberry culture, this method will be practical. But this method is not suitable for strawberry varieties Black Prince.
After harvesting strawberry bushes need to recover to give harvest for the next season. The root system will direct all its forces to the emergence of new greenery. There is a danger that under unsuitable climatic conditions the roots can dry up and the culture will perish. Also, the process of photosynthesis feeds the plants, and the lack of green mass will slow down the accumulation of useful substances.
Judging by the description and photo, strawberry Black Prince is significantly different from other varieties of strawberry crops. Berries combine several commodity properties - this is the elasticity and density of the fruit, as well as the juiciness of the pulp. Strawberries are not inferior in size. With proper care, a gardener will be able to observe on his plot huge bushes, unusual for strawberry culture, studded with large dark berries.
Description and properties of the variety "Black Prince"
Strawberry "Black Prince" has large bushes that grow quickly and are scattered around the garden. From a distance, plants resemble small seedlings of tomato or potatoes. At the same time strawberry leaves are medium in size. Their color is dark green, the structure is corrugated. The variety is considered medium early, as its first berries ripen in mid-June. The last harvest for the season can be collected at the end of August. One bush gives from 1 to 1.5 kg.
Attention! The particular advantage of the Black Prince variety is that it will produce more and more fruits every year.
The berries of the "Black Prince" are shaped like a cone with a truncated end. They are quite large - up to 50 g. The color of the fruits is dark red with black grains, which strongly protrude and slightly prick. The pulp of the berries is dense, juicy and sweet. Void inside almost never occur.
Agronomy rules of the variety
In order for the "Black Prince" to give a good harvest, you need to carefully follow the rules of agricultural technology. They are not too complicated and are similar to the care of other varieties of strawberries.
- This strawberry should be planted in early autumn, at this time in the ground a sufficient amount of moisture, and the temperature is moderate. During the winter, saplings will take root well and gain strength. But in the spring of "Black Prince" plant strictly not recommended.
- For planting varieties suitable light soil, for example, black soil or forest soil. Clay is not suitable, as it has an excess of moisture and will not give air to the root system.
Processing beds after harvest
After the harvest is finally collected, the beds should be prepared for wintering:
- remove the mulch so that fungi and larvae of pests do not start there,
- cut dry and yellow leaves, burn them,
- weed the bed so that the roots are completely covered with earth,
- apply humus, manure or biohumus to the soil,
- abundantly water the beds several times before the first frost,
- cut off all mustaches, but keep green foliage where nutrients accumulate,
- Cover with breathable material before freezing.
Problems of the "Black Prince" and the fight against them
A gardener should closely monitor the condition of strawberry leaves of the “Black Prince” variety. Their unhealthy appearance may indicate serious problems, many of which are easy to fix.
Yellow on the leaves may indicate:
Earlier leaf drying may be a sign:
The “Black Prince” is also susceptible to powdery mildew, gray rot, blight, spotting, anthracnose.
Strawberry "Black Prince", like many other varieties, perfectly shows itself in canning, making liqueurs and cosmetology. In this case, you can use both berries and leaves. In winter, they will save from cough and sore throat.
Features and differences from other varieties
In addition to the most eye-catching features (the same and the difference) in the form of the size of the fruit, it is worth highlighting, perhaps, the following:
- bushes in growth exceed all other varieties of strawberries,
- annually increasing fruiting period,
- perennial (up to 7 years and above) growing does not reduce the yield and size of the fruit, but reduces the number of thickened whiskers,
- the height of straight shoots, in combination with the top arrangement of ripe berries, provides ease of harvesting,
- uniformity, in size, berries, facilitating their sorting,
- increased, in the sense of the magnitude of the distances and long-preserving marketable fruit, portability.
I would like to talk only about the merits, but for objectivity it should be mentioned that:
- a small number of whiskers limits the size of the planting material,
- The Black Prince does not tolerate drought,
- the root system is prone to rapid decay on heavy soils - even sensible drainage does not save (and does not contribute to a good plant survival),
- It is easily attacked by a transparent strawberry mite, and in the autumn period it can fall ill with spotting.
General pre-planting requirements are as follows:
- The place should be open to the sun and closed from the air flow from the north.
- The presence of groundwater is not allowed higher than 0.6 m from the ground (and to guarantee against root rot, it is better that their level is below the specified limit).
- To place the "Black Prince" are not recommended areas in the lowlands and on the slopes (a slight slope of the surface does not count).
- Gray forest soils, light loams and sandy loams are preferred. Invalid clay, peat, silt. Chernozem requires the addition of sand.
- Of the previous crops are good cereals, legumes, carrots and onions. Eggplants, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes are not suitable. It is possible to enrich the soil with microelements by preliminary planting of siderats.
- In terms of acidity, the soil must be either neutral or below the average level — dolomite flour (0.3 kg per 1 sq. M) is used to normalize it.
- During the preparatory period (20-30 days before planting), the soil is fertilized with rotted manure (5 liters per 1 sq. M) or with humus, and from it, when digging, any crop residues are removed.
Landing dates may depend on climatic conditions. In temperate climates, they prefer to do this in early fall.
Where there is a significant summer heat, planting is carried out in April-May. The layout is quite sparse (due to a significant increase in green mass) - 40 x 50 cm.
Operational actions look like this.:
- Pour holes with water, 0.5 liters each.
- Spreading the roots of seedlings.
- Actually landing, at which the heart will be slightly higher (up to 2 cm) soil level.
- Soil compaction (around each plant) and first watering.
- Straw mulching with freshly cut grass after water absorption.
There are three ways of breeding "Black Prince":
- Planting seeds.
- The division of the bush.
Strawberry seeds are planted, as a rule, by experienced gardeners, whose qualifications are beyond doubt.
This process is complicated, requires thoroughness and patience. It is suitable for those summer residents who strive to truly master the art of land use - the best way to build skills in this business is difficult to offer.
If you still have little experience, it is advisable to pre-soak the seeds in a solution of "Epin" (it is possible on cotton pads - for the fastest spitting).
But you can still, after self-confident masters, immediately plant them in a prepared soil mixture (equally leafy humus, garden soil and river sand), in which they are made, with 5 cm intervals, shallow (half a centimeter) grooves. When seeds are planted in the wet grooves, sprinkle them on top with a thin earth layer.
The next 1.5-2 weeks will not require much effort: after you place the landing container covered with glass in the room, you need to do regular moistening, by pouring water into the pan, and airing, for which you will need to clean the glass for a while.
After this period, the seeds begin to rise, and you move them closer to the sun.
The content of the next two steps consists in seating the seedlings at different distances, the magnitude of which is signaled by the emerging leaves:
- with the advent of the first intervals between plants are made by 2-3 cm,
- with a foliage of 4-5 copies, the intervals increase to 5 cm.
If the described option seemed too cumbersome to you, then simplify it by planting seeds in peat tablets (there are special cavities for this) - then you just have to do that you can add some water to the pan, since the tablets themselves are sources of nutrition. We draw your attention to another significant circumstance - before the strawberry transplantation into an open space, you need to temper it a little, “educated” at home, placing it at first near the open breathing window with April air, and then moving it to the balcony, gradually increasing the procedure (starting at quarter past an hour).
As already mentioned, the landing material in the form of a mustache in the "Black Prince" is not rich. Moreover, this and so a small number is produced only in the first three years of the plant’s life.
But the simplicity of the method still constantly attracts gardeners to its use.
There is a sequence of such steps:
- Denoting for yourself, as a result of a thorough examination, the presence of a mustache on a bush with young rosettes, you can separate those who are more successful in their development.
- By connecting sockets to pots with a primer (plastic or peat), you do a lot of watering.
- About a fortnight later, when the socket was sufficiently rooted, and the mustache was fully fed with the necessary substances, you cut off the socket, interrupting its supply, and plant it in a new area, again providing abundant watering.
It would be great if the strawberries in the beds grow by themselves, and we would approach it only at the time of picking berries. You should not indulge in dreams - you need to go to the rules of care for the "Black Prince".
Every day it needs to be watered during the post-planting and flowering period.
When the terms of fruiting come, the situation will change - now it is necessary to spend 1-2 deciliters of water per square meter of land only, watering the bushes once a week.
Методы полива используют разные (дождевание, подкоренной полив), но оптимальным считается насыщение почвы влагой через наполнение прорытых между рядами канавок.Оптимальными также являются:
- вода 20-градусной температуры (пользуйтесь дачным баком, нагреваемым солнечными лучами),
- вечернее время для самой процедуры полива,
- post-irrigation loosening of the soil so that the roots are not left without air due to the formation of an impermeable crust,
- mulching beds - for water retention, then you will not often have to loosen the soil.
General rules for feeding strawberries:
- The use of two types of feeding - root (watering) and foliar (sprinkling and spraying).
- Lack of chlorine in the top dressing.
- Neat (without water on the growth points) watering the bushes for half an hour before feeding.
- For leaf spraying, the treatment of their lower parts is especially important, through which nutrients are absorbed.
By time feeding is distributed as follows:
- Early spring (before the growing season) - ammonium nitrate or urea (up to 20 g / decaliter) in any way.
- The formation of buds and the beginning of flowering is superphosphate (40 g per sq. M) in a foliar way.
- Fruit ripening - mineral complex fertilizers ("Agricola", "Berry" according to the instructions).
Harvest "Black Prince" is collected in the mornings, after the dew has dried. Intervals between charges - 3 days.
But harvesting care for the "royal offspring" is not limited. Moreover, it is precisely now that special attention must be paid to the “Black Prince” in order to preserve the whole shrub and create a foundation for an excellent harvest in the next season.
Here is what you need to do:
- Remove the previous mulch, then carefully, so that no leaf is left, weed the soil.
- Spud the plants and enrich the soil (require vermicompost or humus).
- Break through the aisle.
- To carry out post-harvest watering (one and a half liters of water per bush).
As part of the care of the bushes themselves, it is necessary to remove the whiskers that appear, without touching the green foliage - the basis of the future abundant green mass. Also check that the root system is completely underground.
After collecting the berries, additional fertilizing with a complex of minerals is also carried out, but without nitrogen, as it was during the ripening of the fruits.
It will be necessary to finish the season already in the late autumn, having covered the beds with strawberries with a spice (pine) or spunbond, so that the heat retained in this way does not allow the roots to freeze in winter.
Diseases and pests
In addition to the above-mentioned strawberry mite and white-brown spot, this variety of strawberry is susceptible to verticillus and aphid invasion.
The manifestations of each of these misfortunes must be fought differently:
- They rescue a tick by treating plants with karbofos (it can be colloidal sulfur), spreading 8 grams of the substance in 10 liters of water. If the lesion has reached a large size, then the dosage is increased by 15%.
- The spotting is removed using Antracol or Ridomyl Gold (dosage, respectively, 15 and 25 g per 10 l). It can be avoided due to prophylactic treatment (2-3 times) with Bordeaux liquid.
- Verticillosis is treated only in the case of a minor lesion, 0.2% “Fundazol” (10 g per 10 l) is used, in other cases, the diseased plants are destroyed. Prevention consists in dipping the root system with “Agat 25K” or “Potassium humate” (7 and 15 g per 10 l) before disembarking.
If the invasion is massive, then sprayed with one of two compositions of the solution:
- garlic - per liter of water 0.2 l of garlic juice, the same amount of onion and 0.15 l - dandelion,
- soapy 6% m - 60 g / l.
There is a certain trouble in connection with the cultivation of the “Black Prince”. But painfully good then the result! So don't be lazy - get both fragrant sweetness and peace of mind, and if you risk entering the market, you will also get substantial profits.
Description varieties with photos
Variety, belongs to the group of medium-early maturity. The first fruits ripen on the 20th of June, fructification continues until the beginning of autumn. Fruits retain their size during the season; in early varieties, the size of the berries decreases markedly by the end of summer.
The bushes of the Black Prince have an original look, from a distance it can be mistaken for a potato bush, so big they are.
Dignity of a grade pulp of high density, this quality provides a possibility of long storage of berries. The term is impressive - two weeks. Vintage black prince does not deteriorate when transported over long distances.
The grade belongs to high-yielding. With one powerful, tall bush you can get up to a kilogram of berries per season. When grown on a farm on an industrial scale, the average yield will be 20 tons. At the dacha one straw weaved land, a black prince planted with strawberries will give about 200 kg.
The variety is good because it can bear fruit in one place for up to seven years. Productivity from year to year usually grows, this is especially noticeable with proper care.
The variety is recommended for market production, it is in good demand, thanks to the beautiful, marketable appearance of decent taste, specific aroma.
The name of the variety Black Prince, due to the fact that the berries ripening become very dark red in color, they seem almost black at dusk. The seed color is also black. Fruits rather large, may have a weight of 50 g. The shape resembles a truncated cone.
The variety has stated that it tolerates low temperatures well in winter, the lower threshold is -20 C. In spring, night low temperatures are not terrible. In the summer it does not tolerate drought. The main focus in the summer care - timely watering.
Features of growing and care
Recommended landing time - the beginning of autumn. In the south, possible landing in early spring. For long-term fruiting for seven years, the plants need to properly prepare the ridge.
Top soil options:
- Sandy loam soil.
- Gray Soil,
- Light loam,
Strawberry Black Prince, prefers to grow on loose, breathable soils. Clay, peat soils are not suitable, the root system of the plant begins to rot on them, the plant dies.
The sun in the area should be enough. Constant winds of the north and north-west are contraindicated. In winter, snow cover is needed on the ridges, only in this case it will tolerate the winter well with two-degree frost.
When the groundwater is located closer than 0.6 m, the site is not suitable, it is not necessary to plant strawberries in lowlands, where the soil moisture is always elevated, the slopes of the mountains also do not fit.
To improve the structure of the soil, disinfection it is used green manure. To sow the site for the year before planting, mature plants are not removed, buried in the soil when digging.
Bushes are large, so the plants are planted at a distance of 0.4 m in a row. Aisle width to do 0.6 m wide, better ventilation, it is more convenient to handle bushes,
- Unusually delicious berries, beautiful color.
- Maintaining large-sized fruit throughout the season.
- Increased pulp density, good keeping quality, transportability.
- Great harvest from a single bush.
- The possibility of growing in one place for many years.
- It tolerates frosts up to - 20 C
- Good resistance to pathogens.
Good feedback. They praise the crop when planting with wide aisles. Planting thickens results in lower yields, as the berries are smaller.
Note the high productivity of the variety in the second year of fruiting. Tick resistant. The possibility of breeding mustache, dividing the bush.
Farmers praise the Black Prince variety, they are satisfied with the possibility of growing in one place for a long time, keeping quality, frost resistance, good taste. Buyers in the market love this berry.
After 4-5 years after planting, the plants are surprised by spreading and powerful bushes, resembling potatoes or tomatoes from a distance. The foliage of a medium-sized strawberry is saturated green, glossy, with well-marked corrugation.
Garden strawberries of Italian selection are distinguished by powerful, tall flower stalks, on which a large number of ovaries are formed. Already in early June, the bushes are covered with green berries. Here they are, in the photo.
When the mass ripening of berries begins, the peduncles bend down to the ground. In the first years after planting, a sufficient number of whiskers form for reproduction. But the older the shrub, the lower the accumulation. This should be considered in order not to be left without strawberry seedlings.
The fruit of the variety is quite dark, perhaps for this reason, this name appeared. On the dark burgundy surface of the berries are many seeds. They are also dark, are on the surface, so to touch the berries of the Italian selection of prickly.
Berry weight up to 50 grams. Dense fruits have the shape of a truncated cone. Inside the strawberry flesh is rich red, without white streaks and voids. The berries are tasty, sweetish with a delicate hint of sourness.
Italian breeders have created a high-yielding strawberry variety Black Prince, which can be grown throughout Russia both in open and protected ground. For long-term fruiting, one strawberry garden shrub gives up to 1200 grams of delicious, sweet berries with strawberry flavor.
Farmers appreciate the variety, because with the right agricultural technology, you can harvest up to 20 tons per hectare.
Not only the original taste and appearance of the strawberry attract gardeners. But it is better to understand the characteristics of the variety, having become acquainted with the characteristic.
First, let's talk about the merits of the Black Prince:
- High taste, abundant yield.
- The strawberry variety can be grown in one place for up to 10 years, increasing the yield of finished products every year.
- Dense berries can be stored up to two weeks, they do not flow and do not lose their shape.
- Excellent transportability contributes to the cultivation of varietal strawberries on an industrial scale.
- The variety is winter-hardy, it tolerates frost up to 20 degrees. A slight decrease in spring temperatures does not frighten the plants.
- Strawberries rarely get sick due to their high immunity.
Despite such an abundance of advantages, there are some disadvantages of the variety:
- plants hardly endure drought, therefore the soil moisture must be constantly monitored,
- there are difficulties in obtaining planting material, since the adult strawberry bushes, the Black Prince, do not produce a mustache.
The grade of the Italian selection is checked and reliable:
You can grow seedlings of variety Black Prince from seed, but this process is time consuming. It is best to take advantage of seedlings that need to be purchased from reliable suppliers, for example, in the seed company Sibirsky Sad, Altai Gardens, Becker.
- after digging prepare the wells, in each pour in half a liter of warm water,
- strawberry seedlings are lowered into the hole, straighten the root system and sprinkle with soil,
- the heart must remain above the surface at a height of 1-2 cm,
- the primer should be well sealed to remove air pockets,
- After this planting watered and powdered with mulch.
For mulching, you can use rotted sawdust, straw, or cut green grass that has not yet formed seeds.
While the Black Prince’s strawberry variety is taking root, it needs to be watered regularly. The drip irrigation system does an excellent job, which is easy to install.
Watering and loosening
Plants of this variety, as noted in the description, are poorly related to drought. Especially important is watering, and daily, immediately after planting seedlings, during flowering and ripening.
You should not be zealous with watering, as with the stagnation of water, diseases of the root system can develop, and the berries themselves will lose taste. And such fruits cannot be stored for a long time.
Gardeners involved in the Black Prince variety are not one year old; in the reviews they advise making between the rows of strawberry grooves to water and feed the bushes through them. Watering the landing should be in the evening, after sunset.
Each watering of strawberries is necessarily accompanied by loosening the soil to remove the crust, which does not allow oxygen to the roots, and destroy the weeds that appear.
- The first feeding is carried out in the spring. To do this, take nitrogen-containing fertilizers to build green mass. You can use ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate or urea. Fertilizers are used strictly according to the instructions!
- During the period of budding and formation of ovaries, nitrogen fertilizing cannot be carried out, it is possible to lose the harvest. At this time, plants need phosphorus. It is good to water planting strawberries with a solution of wood ash, which contains all the micro and macronutrients necessary for growth, development and ripening of fruits.
- For the third time, Black Prince strawberries of the variety are fed up when the berries are ripening with complex mineral fertilizer. Adherents of organic can use infusion of green grass.
When the last berry is gathered, the landing should be prepared for the winter:
- First cut out the old leaves, remove the mulch.
- Ridge weed, loosen the soil.
- Organic fertilizers (peat, compost, humus) are added, covering the bare root system.
- Before the onset of frost, strawberries are covered with a layer of earth to ensure reliable wintering. Part of the black prince shrubs can be transplanted into large flower pots in order to have fresh berries in winter.
- If the temperature in the region is below -20 degrees, the beds with strawberries should be covered thoroughly.
Other strawberry indicators “Black Prince”
This strawberry variety is distinguished by an average degree of drought tolerance. He is able to perfectly bear fruit in the same place for many years in a row (sometimes up to 10). If the bush to properly care and observe the rules of cultivation, it will give excellent results.
- Planting: first year - 20 centimeters in a row with thinning in one, second year - 40 centimeters in a row. The bush grows very powerfully and quickly.
- Top dressing: once in 10 days (EM-concentrate or Kemira) from the first peduncle.
- It has good resistance to diseases and ticks. Against both, there is no need to process. On some bushes in late October - early November, spotting appears.
- With careful care, you get a lot of two- and three-vegeta seedlings.
- A large number of seedlings of the first class (0.9-1.6), and this is ideal when grown in 60-day plantings.
- If plants are not poured, very good storage is ensured. With rapid cooling - at least 10-12 days.
- From the second year of strawberry growth, it is imperative to tamper in the fall - to bring compost into the trench formed by hilling, compaction and watering.
- Use: universal. It is used not only fresh, it is used to make jams, jams, liqueurs, home-made berry wines.
When caring for strawberries of the “Black Prince” variety, for normal growth and development, it is enough to make preventive spraying of the bushes with insect-fungicides in time and correctly adjust the schedule of irrigation works at all stages of the growing season.
Tip # 1. You need to water strawberries in the morning or evening, directing the flow of water to the root system and trying not to soak the leaves. The water used is heated in the sun, warm.
During flowering strawberry bushes "Black Prince" sprayed with a 0.025% solution of zinc sulfate. To prevent the appearance on the strawberry plantation spots, plantings treated with copper oxide and a solution of Bordeaux mixture. Three or four sprays are done throughout the season.
Growing strawberries varieties "Black Prince"
“Black Prince” strawberry bushes are like huge caps of lush vegetation of dark green color, covered with large dark red berries. The older the bushes, the more fruitful whiskers they let, the more they grow berries. This sort of strawberry grows well in the beds, where grain or legumes had previously grown. But not potatoes or tomatoes, which suck all the minerals from the soil, making the land unsuitable for growing berries.
Tip # 2. Transplantation is carried out in early October, when the air temperature is still above zero. After that within 10-14 days it should be watered abundantly.
When the first flowers appear on the bushes, watering is done every day. When the berries appear, it must be stopped, otherwise the strawberries will grow watery. In summer, the land between the beds must be mulched. Bush "Black Prince" annually adds 7-8 rods. In the fall, the mustache must be cut, fed to the plant and covered for the winter with a layer of mulch to maintain high yields.
Caring for a variety of strawberries "Black Prince"
Strawberries prefer light, fertile, sandy, drained soil with good aeration and water absorption. And it can not tolerate soils heavy, clay, cold. In the care she is satisfied unpretentious, but a good harvest will give only subject to certain rules. The soil for this variety must be systematically weeded and eliminating weeds, loosening, mulching, watering, feeding, old leaves trimmed, seated rooted mustaches.
If you are not planning strawberry planting, be sure to remove the emerging shoots. "Black Prince" requires abundant regular watering. Однако влага не должна застаиваться в кустах, иначе у растений будет задержка в развитии. При засухе в жарких климатических условиях, а также в пору налива ягод, объем поливной жидкости надо существенно увеличить. A year after planting, it is necessary to pour the soil under the root system so that it does not bare. To feed regularly.
Purchase planting material preferably from trusted suppliers. Since the strawberry variety “Black Prince” is increasing its green mass quickly, the landing holes should be located at a distance of 0.4 meters from each other. In plentifully watered holes planted sockets, not allowing roots to bend upwards and straightening them. The heart, the so-called growth bud of the seedling, is not buried when embedded, leaving it just above ground level.
Tip # 3. So that there are no air pockets around the roots, the soil under the bushes is compacted. Then the plant is watered and mulched.
Top dressing strawberries varieties "Black Prince"
High ability to fruit during the entire period of use of plantations requires regular and high-quality feeding. In spring, the Black Prince strawberry variety needs nitrogen, and phosphate supplements are required for budding and flowering. When the berries are poured, the plants need to make an integrated diet. Mineral fertilizers are applied to the soil according to the standards specified in the instructions on the packages. They are introduced either dissolved in water, or buried in the soil under the bushes in a dry form.
Application and storage of strawberries "Black Prince"
At a temperature of 6-8 ° C, fresh strawberries of the “Black Prince” variety can be stored for up to 30 days. In order to taste strawberries at the end of the season, rinse, dry, mince or chop in a blender with sugar, arrange in plastic bags and store in the freezer. Also, "Black Prince" is used for making wine and alcoholic beverages. It is used in professional and home cosmetology. Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, so its fruits and leaves are dried, and then they are treated for sore throats, flu and ARVI. Dry fruits and strawberry leaves raise the immunity, saturate the body with a whole complex of summer vitamins.
How to protect strawberries from pests and diseases
Among all the berry crops, strawberries are most vulnerable to diseases and pests. Strawberry-dangerous pests:
- the larvae of the May beetles, scoops, wireworm, living in the soil,
- spider and strawberry mites,
- stem, strawberry, chrysanthemum nematodes,
- weevils are green, gray root or earthy, strawberry-raspberry, alfalfa skosar, small black skosar, comb strawberry sawfly.
How large-scale the damage inflicted by these insects can be is demonstrated by the following example: only 2-3 larvae of the Maylewle are capable of completely and completely destroying strawberry plants on an area of 1 sq. M. m
Strawberry diseases and viruses:
- powdery mildew,
- gray rot
- white leaf spot,
- brown leaf spot,
- black root rot,
- verticillary wilt,
- red root rot,
- phytophthora rot,
- dottedness on the leaves,
- greening petals
- yellowing leaves.
Strawberry pest and disease prevention
- Select for cultivation should be varieties that have genetic resistance to rot of berries and ticks. Seedlings should be pure and strong. One variety is planted from another at a distance of at least 1.5-2 m in order to avoid whisker entanglement. But do not forget that the varieties are not pereopolyatsya. And the fact that they are located close to each other, does not affect the quality of berries and yields.
- In one place, cultivation is possible for no more than 2 years (this does not apply to the Black Prince variety). Two years (without taking into account the year of planting) cultivation makes it possible to avoid the appearance of outbreaks of harmful insects.
- Observe moderate bushes density. The width of the strip of each row should not exceed 35-30 centimeters, because the leaves need the sun and fresh air - factors that make it possible not to accumulate excess moisture, and therefore prevent the development of disease.
- With insufficient moisture, be sure to water the bushes.
Tip # 4. Strawberry plantation must always be kept clean, free from grass and weeds, which interfere with the nutrition, light, moisture supply of the berries.
Strawberry protection from pests and diseases
To protect plants and to obtain good yields need to be approached comprehensively, namely, to apply agrotechnical, chemical, biological, quarantine measures.
- Agrotechnical methods: fulfillment of all requirements for crop rotation, measures and terms of tillage, timely and proper planting of exceptionally high quality seed, fertilization, weed control, etc.
- Chemical measures: the use of a protection system that is simultaneously directed against a whole group of diseases and pests. For example, to protect strawberries from ticks, as well as powdery mildew, brown and white spot after melting snow, in early spring, you should definitely clean the area from dry leaves, before plants start growing, treat the plants with a 3% solution of Bordeaux mixture.
In the period of growth of the leaves, at the first manifestations of brown or white spot, treat the plants with Euparenom (50% hp, 30g / 10 l of water). If there is a strong development of these diseases, after 8-10 days, you can re-process strawberries with Euparen or other permitted fungicides. In the bud formation phase, treat the plants against Actellic pests (15-20 ml / 10 l of water). After harvesting, in order to reduce the “stock” of infection, it is advisable to treat strawberry plantings with Topaz, Euparine, Switch, and also Aktellik, if there are many pests.
Determination of pests and diseases by signs of damage and control measures are shown in the table:
Description and characteristics of the variety
The Black Prince is characterized by sprawling and powerful bushes that grow rapidly. Adult plants that have reached 4–5 years of age are so tall that they can be confused from a distance with bushes of potato or tomato.
- Leaves Medium size, rich green color, with a glossy surface, slightly corrugated.
- Shoots tall, strong, with a large number of ovaries.
- During ripening harvest, they literally lean to the ground under the weight of large fruits.
- Conformation below average, and every year the number of thick whiskers is getting smaller.
The main distinguishing feature of the variety is the dark, rich color of the berries.
The photo shows that the varieties of berries are so dark that from afar they can really be mistaken for black ones.
- The fruits of the Black Prince are painted so thick red that they look black from a distance . Characteristically, the seeds inside the berries are also black. Thanks to such an amazing color, the variety got its name.
- All berries are large, reaching 50 g, with a smooth glossy surface . The shape of the fruit is a truncated cone. Another advantage of the variety is the fact that the berries do not shrink throughout the season.
- The flesh is also saturated red, juicy, very dense, without internal voids, characteristic of many varieties of strawberries. . Thanks to this feature, the Black Prince perfectly transports carriage, and can be stored, without being deformed, for 1–2 weeks.
- The berries have a characteristic strawberry aroma and a very pleasant taste with a slight hint of sourness. . A small drawback is the bulging seeds, which make the fruit feel a bit prickly to the touch.
Terms of fruiting
The Black Prince is a variety of medium early ripening, with a long period of fruiting.
Already in the beginning of June green berries appear on the bushes.
The first berries ripen in mid-June, and the bushes continue to produce throughout the summer. On average, for a season, it is possible to harvest 0.7–1.2 kg of large, juicy berries from one adult plant. In this case, the more mature the bush is, the higher this indicator will be.
In contrast to the overwhelming majority of other varieties of garden strawberries, the Black Prince is able to actively bear fruit for 6–7 years. that is, twice as long as the usual varieties. While ensuring proper care of strawberries, this period can be easily extended for another couple of years.
When breeding this variety, one more important feature should be taken into account: mustache he gives only the first few years after landing . Therefore, you should worry about the planting material in advance.
The black prince tolerates cold winters quite well with a decrease in temperature to -20 ° C. Also, he is not afraid of unexpected spring frosts. But drought variety suffers much worse.
This variety is universal, and equally ideal for use in its pure form, and for the manufacture of various jams, preserves, wines, liqueurs. Due to its original appearance, high taste and transportability, this variety often grown for sale .
The black prince is able to bear fruit for a long time, but only on condition that the right place was chosen for him . So, this variety prefers loose, light, air-permeable soils. Ideally, it should be light loam, sandy loam or forest gray. If the plot is black soil, then before planting strawberries it should be diluted with river sand.
You should not even try to plant strawberries of this variety in heavy soils., because it simply will not begin to bear fruit due to the rapid decay of the root system. In this case, even full drainage will not help.
Compost is always added to poor soil.
The site for growing the Black Prince must be well lit, and at the same time reliably protected from cold winds from the north or north-west side.
In the absence of such shelter, strawberry roots will freeze even at temperatures -10 ° C . This is due to the fact that strong winds blow the snow flooring, and the bushes are left without natural cover. While ensuring adequate protection from drafts, a strawberry can withstand lossless temperatures to -20 ° C .
Preparation of seedlings and garden beds
It is recommended to cook beds for strawberries in advance.
- A few weeks before planting, seedlings dig up the area to a depth of 30 cm, while enriching the earth with humus or rotted manure. Fertilization with humic or peat will be useful: thanks to them you can loosen the soil and significantly improve its composition.
It is necessary to carefully perekapat bed, removing all weeds.
Soil acidity can be determined using a special test.
Dig holes for planting bushes should be at least 40 cm apart, leaving a gap between the rows of 50 cm.
Strawberry bushes are planted in 40-50 cm.
A feature of this variety is the rapid build-up of green mass and tallness, therefore thickening of the planting is unacceptable.
- Every well moistened 0.5 l. water . The roots of the seedlings are carefully straightened and buried in the hole, leaving a growth point (the so-called heart) 1–2 cm above the ground level. The soil around the soil is tamped down and then moistened again.
- When water is fully absorbed, it is recommended to mulch the beds with straw, sawdust or pine needles.
- In the next 2-3 weeks, saplings need regular abundant watering.
Planting strawberry seedlings is best done in the evening.
Features care for the brand Black Prince
In order to consistently collect a rich harvest of high-quality berries, the Black Prince must provide full care.
The Black Prince is a moisture-loving variety that is particularly in need of daily watering immediately after planting and during the flowering period.
During flowering strawberries are best watered at the root.
However, the strawberry at the same time reacts very badly to the stagnation of water in the soil. If watering is too abundant, the risk of rotting of the roots and obtaining watery and not too sweet berries, which cannot be stored for a long time, increase.
Watering the bushes is best once a week. , pouring water (10–25 l) into the grooves between the rows. It is not recommended to use a sprinkler, especially during flowering and fruiting. The optimal time for the procedure is evening.
After finishing watering It is recommended to properly loosen the ground to prevent the formation of a dense crust.
If the leaves fade, the reason may be hiding in rare or insufficient watering.
Top dressing can be of two types: liquid (in the form of solutions in water for irrigation) and foliar (scattered on the surface near each bush).
- For 20-30 minutes before dressing, it is recommended to water the bushes, trying not to wet the growing point.
- In the spring culture more than ever needs nitrogen fertilizers : with their help, it is actively increasing its green mass. An excellent option would be ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate or urea.
- With the advent of the first buds and throughout the entire flowering period, strawberries should be fed with phosphate fertilizers: simple or double superphosphate.
- During the ripening of berries, they should be fed with complex mineral compounds.
The first feeding is made when planting seedlings.
Having collected the last berries from the garden, it is necessary to get rid of the old mulch, cut off the dried old leaves. We need to weed the beds, planting organic fertilizers in the soil, and make sure that the roots do not become bare.
With simple care requirements, the Black Prince has been able to rejoice over the years with abundant harvests of wholesome and very tasty berries.